CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 4, 2008

Steelhead 1/2 Ironman Decision


The photo above is of Lake Michigan on race morning. Notice the waves!

I have to admit that I was still questioning my decision not to race the Steelhead 1/2 Ironman on Saturday morning. I looked at my watch often throughout the morning and afternoon, estimating where I would be on the race course. I thought about the friends I have who were in Benton Harbor for the race.

As far as I could tell the weather forecast from earlier in the week, calling for temps in the mid 90's with high humidity, had modified. It appeared to be an almost perfect weather day - with temps in the low 80's. The water temperature had gradually risen over the past 10 days from a low of 51 degrees to about 74 degrees. The lake conditions on Friday evening were good, with calm water and waves of 0-1 ft. Lake Michigan doesn't get much better than that.

So, as we headed to my sister's house in Elk Grove Village for the weekend, my head was still wistfully thinking about the race. My back still hurts - I haven't been on the bike in a week, the couple of swims that I have done have been very short (1/2 mile or less) and bothered my back. Sitting hurts. I have to watch how I move in order to protect my back.

I did still get some cycling experience over the weekend. It came in the form of spectating, however, not competing. The "Tour de Elk Grove" took place Friday-Sunday. We watched the pro cyclist road race (150-k) Saturday afternoon, which consisted of ten loops in Schaumburg and then the ride to the finish from Schaumburg to Elk Grove Village. Tyler Hamilton (former teammate of Lance Armstrong) was among the riders. On Sunday, we watch the Cat 1/2 criterium race.

Once back home, we had an opportunity to check the results of the Steelhead 1/2 Ironman. The swim portion of the race was cancelled due to 4-6 ft waves, swells and especially due to the very strong undertow. Apparently even the kayaaks were having difficulty getting out into the water without being pulled under.

So, the race became a duathlon, with a 2-mile run, a 56-mile bike and the 13.1 mile run. This would not have given me the practice I wanted with the 3 elements of triathlon and the corresponding transitions. It would not have allowed me to improve on my 1/2 Ironman time since it was not officially a true 1/2 Ironman.

I'm still hoping to be able to race the triathlon on Aug. 23rd and staying open to the possibility of a 1/2 Ironman yet this fall. I'll keep you posted.

0 comments: