CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's Inevitable

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. " ~ Christopher Reeve

Like many people, when I first watched Ironman on television it seemed like an impossible dream. Gradually it moved to improbable - how could a person who had never clipped into a road bike, never done any open water swimming, never participated in sports growing up, complete an Ironman?

This Ironman dream is not something I am willing to walk away from. It's not something I'm willing to leave undone. Since the word "willing" just showed up in the last two sentences, I believe it is time to summon the will, to step fully into my Ironman dream.

  • I have a wonderful "Iron Grandma" sweatshirt given to me by two of my daughters for my 2007 Ironman attempt (a knee injury 10 days out from race day kept me from completing the bike portion , although I did get through that scary 2.4 mile swim with 2000 friends in the mass start). It has my two beautiful granddaughters names embroidered on it - Ella & Madison. Now two more grandchildren will be here before Ironman 2009 and their names will be embroidered on that sweatshirt as well. Perhaps my sweatshirt was waiting for 2 more names.

  • It is time to let go of the fear and step into trusting in my self and the training.

  • Who says a grandma necessarily smells like fresh-baked cookies, old soap, and hairspray? This grandma is perfectly ok with smelling like lake water, Gatorade and, at times, sweat.

  • I now know that there will be times (many of them most likely) when I'm not sure I can do this. In those moments I can choose to believe in those people around me who do believe I can complete Ironman 2009. Those moments of doubt will pass.

  • I know what to focus on in my training this year - more weight training in the winter to gain strength, continue yoga (1x per week) throughout the entire training to prevent injury, lots of time in the pool and on the bike.

  • Get outside on the bike earlier in the season.

  • Remember to appreciate my friends and especially my family who are supporting me. Ironman is not an individual sport. Once I signed up to participate, my entire family has signed up along with me. I couldn't do it without each one of you. Thank you. I will make you proud. It's inevitable.

1 comments:

Kristin said...

Wait a minute... Two more grandchildren will be here before Ironman 2009? Is there news I have not heard?!