CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 5, 2008

On the Fence... Indiana or Nebraska

I had a decision to make about whether to run the Indy 1/2 Marathon on Saturday, May 3rd or the Lincoln, Nebraska Marathon on Sunday, May 4th. My decision making continued up until the very last day that on-line registration was open (Monday, April 28th).

Pro (for running Indy):
1) I love this 1/2 marathon and can generally get a fast time.
2) Many of the Team in Training group, including Howard, are running Indy.
3) I'm actually trained to run a 1/2 marathon.
4) It would be easier and more fun.

Con (Indy):
1) I wouldn't be able to visit Howard's dad in the hospital the day before his release following hip replacement surgery.
2) I wouldn't have an official finish time (borrowing a friend's bib number who is injured)

Pro (for running Nebraska):
1) This would give me another state (29).
2) It sounds like a great marathon (based on Marathon Guide comments).
3) I think I can run it smart enough to finish and avoid injury.
4) I'll have Nebraska scratched off the list and I won't have to drive across Iowa again.

Con (Nebraska)
1) I'm not adequately trained (long run of 16-17 miles, limited mileage over the last month due to being sick and then in New York for 1 week). This is the least trained I've ever gone into a marathon.
2) I will have to drive by myself - Diana is injured, so I have no travel companion. It is at least a 7-hour drive.
3) I have to drive through Iowa to get there.
4) I have to drive through Iowa to get home.

As Howard said to a friend who happened to inquire about my decision; "Knowing Sherry what do you think she chose?"

Nebraska here I come. Iowa please pass by quickly.

Race report is coming.

0 comments: