CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Back on the Open Road

This past Saturday was the Red Cross Ride & Stride. Cyclists could choose routes of 35 miles, 65 miles or 100 miles. Given the spring weather we have experienced, I knew I was not ready for the 100 mile ride. I also knew 35 miles was too short. This left the 65-mile route which I knew might be a stretch. My long rides have been on the trainer, with the longest ride of about 2 1/2 hours in length. I have done about 5-6 outdoor rides, but they have only been about 20 miles in length. What a difference a year can make! Last year I did the 100-mile route and I noted in my training log that the weather was very, very hot.

The good news? It was a beautiful day to ride. Low humidity, only a light breeze and temperatures in the mid-70's to low-80's during the ride. The 65-mile route went from the Tipton Trail area to Morraine View Park (Dawson Lake), to LeRoy, to Downs and back to Tipton Trail.

The bad news? My right quad started cramping up after about 35 miles. I've been having issues with my right knee (medial side), especially on hills - whether riding or running. After riding some of the hills in the Morraine View Park area, I could tell things are still not right with that right knee. Since only my right quad was cramping up, I'm sure it is related to the knee. My left quad felt fine.

More good news? I continued on for a total of 55 miles (Downs), before having my own personal sag wagon pick me up. Thanks Howard. At least I was able to get in a 50+ mile ride for the first time this season. I've already gone the distance that I need to ride for the 1/2 Ironman in August.

I have to admit that ride took a lot out of me. I felt pretty tired the remainder of the day on Saturday and was still feeling the fatigue on Sunday. It is discouraging to know that last year I did my first 100-mile ride at this point in the season.

Today I have an appointment at the Sports Enhancement Center to get my knee checked out. I am hopeful that some physical therapy will solve the problem.

One positive side benefit of the knee problem is that I've been doing a lot more swimming over the past couple of weeks. I've had some wonderful outdoor swims early in the morning at State Farm Park. Generally there have only been one or two other swimmers in the pool while I'm swimming. It is so peaceful in the early morning with the sun just rising higher in the sky and reflecting off the water. The water temperature has been perfect and the chlorine is very tolerable, unlike the 4-Seasons lap pool. I hope to do all of my swimming outdoors from now on.

0 comments: