CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Don't look back. We ain't going that direction." ~ John Wayne

Today is Wednesday. Wednesday mornings are my track workout days. This morning I felt less than motivated to face those repeat 800's. I felt very tired yesterday from my long swim in the morning and the evening run. Added to the fatigue was the lingering headache caused perhaps by my swim goggles being too tight during my swim. So basically, you could say I was internally whining to myself about the speed workout.

And then I saw her - a young college girl was running on the track in front of me. As I passed her (yes, I did pass her), I read the quote on the back of her shirt. "Don't look back. We ain't going that direction." At first it made me laugh and as I thought about it, I realized John Wayne's words are very wise.

It really doesn't serve me that well to dwell on yesterday's training. last year's training and level of conditioning, or past races. The direction to be looking is forward. A quick glance back is useful to gain information, but after that it is time to get on the horse and ride forward. I don't think cowboys looked back very often- perhaps a quick look over the shoulder to be certain no one was chasing after them. Too much looking back could prove to be a very costly move. Looking back slows down the forward momentum.

I completed my workout and am noticing significant improvements in my times. This was only my fifth speed workout, so I can expect to see continued improvement over the next several weeks. I plan to continue the track workouts through the third week of September in preparation for the St. George, Utah Marathon on Oct. 4th. Perhaps the way to approach these future track workouts is like John Wayne - look in the direction of the goal.

1 comments:

maryc said...

Sherry,

I read this blog posting a couple of weeks ago and loved the quote from John Wayne. Today, while watching the CBS Morning News, there was a piece about the Velvatorium - a museum in Portland, OR for paintings on velvet. When I got married, I was the lucky recipient of a painting of John Wayne on velvet as a gag gift from my sister. I've never been able to part with this "treasure," and after seeing this on TV, I brought it out of hiding and am prominently displaying it in my kitchen - of all places!

I've placed the quote from your blog underneath it as a daily reminder to let go of what has happened over the past five years and to look forward to what is possible.

Thanks for sharing and for helping me to learn through you.

Mary