CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 30, 2008

Training progress/update

This past week was a challenging week of training. My week included:

  • 2 open water swims (each about 3/4 of a mile),
  • 3 outdoor pool swims,
  • 3 bike rides,
  • 1 track workout (repeat 800's),
  • 1 easy recovery run, and
  • 1 tough 11-mile long run.

    And I managed to balance that with a weekend filled with family activities. Our son Brent and his girlfriend Callie came home on Friday evening and left late afternoon Sunday. So my "cross training" family activities consisted of going to the Farmer's Market on Saturday, getting coffee at our favorite downtown coffee place, driving to Springfield for our daughter Lisa's birthday, playing with granddaughters, playing bocce ball, lots of eating, driving home Saturday night, more coffee on Sunday morning, washing cars (I was the window cleaner), and generally hanging out.

    This week is even more challenging in terms of training and balancing the family activities with the 4th of July. The schedule includes:
  • 4 bike rides (including the 3-hour ride I did today which I moved from Sunday, and a 4-hour ride scheduled for this coming Sunday, and 2 shorter mid-week rides),
  • 5 swims including one 3350 yd pool swim and one 3600 pool swim, 2 open water swims, and 1 recovery swim,
  • 5 run workouts including 1 track workout (repeat 800's again), 1 race (Park to Park 5 mile on the 4th of July), 1 long run (2-hour run on Saturday, following the race on Friday), and 1 brick (30-minute run immediately following the 4-hour ride on Sunday).

    Our daughter Lisa, her husband Gary and our 2-year old granddaughter Ella will be arriving Thursday night. My sister will be arriving around lunch time on the 4th. We'll also be spending time with our daughter Lauren, her husband Kirk and our 3-year old granddaughter Madison.

    As I was riding my long ride this afternoon, I was getting tired, I was riding back into a fairly strong headwind (as usual). I started to think about the female triathlete at the Naperville Triathlon who crashed on her bike. I had hoped to have some news about her condition. I have not been able to find any information on her, although most people who witnessed the crash and have some medical background seem to believe at the very least she suffered a significant brain injury. The last time she was on a bike, it took her away from her family - hopefully only for a short period of time while she recovers, but possibly forever.

    This reminds me of just how important it is to balance training and family - to find the appropriate amount of time spent training that will allow me to be trained well enough to race safely, and yet to keep my priorities in the proper order.

    Thinking of that young woman also reminded me of what a gift it is to be able to ride along on the open road, on a beautiful day, and to most importantly arrive safely back home to my family.

0 comments: