CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

Park to Park (to Park) Race Report

Typically the weather at race start for the 5 mile Park to Park race is very warm (often already approaching 80 degrees) and quite humid. This year we were greeted with cool temperatures (58-60 degrees) at the start, relatively low humidity and light winds. So all of the usual excuses for not running well went immediately out the window.

I had two strategies for the race - one was to run it hard (with a goal to beat my last Park to Park time of 42:30 run in 2004), the second strategy was to run it fairly hard, but not so hard that I wouldn't feel like running back the other direction. The race goes from Miller Park in Bloomington to Fairview Park in Normal. I've never run back the other direction, although I know many runners do that in order to pick up their cars.

I ultimately decided to run 8:30 pace (which would match the 2004 time), and then run back to Miller Park with Terry (the Team in Training coach). Two disadvantages to this plan - it would mean skipping the post-race treat of ice cream (runners get to select a free ice cream treat from the ice cream truck) and it would mean running back with Terry. Terry ran a 32-minute Park to Park. I'll save you the math calculation and let you know that is 6:30 mile pace.

I ran a 42:42 which is 8:32 mile pace and placed 1st (out of 20) in my age group. As a parting gift I received a lovely mug which I would be happy to give to any interested person. Words really can't describe the beauty of this mug.

I did run back the other direction and felt pretty good. We ran at my pace, not Terry's. 8:30 mile pace for Terry is very, very easy. So basically I ran both directions at about the same pace.

Keeping my next two goal races (Evergreen Olympic Tri and Steelhead 1/2 Ironman) in mind, I did manage to sandwich three other workouts in my holiday weekend. I managed a 7-mile run on Saturday morning, a 3/4 mile swim on Sunday morning, and a 1 1/2 hour bike mid-afternoon Sunday with temperatures in the upper 80 - 90 range.

The reason I had the word sandwich in italics was because most of my holiday weekend involved the cross-training activity of eating. Friday's lunch consisted of fried cheese curds (delicious) accompanied by a mixed green salad and a salmon sandwich with roasted red peppers and goat cheese. Friday's dinner consisted snacks and assorted buffet foods from a 4th of July picnic at a friend's house, followed by the obligatory popcorn while watching the fireworks. A surprise greeted us at Fairview Park - free pie! Baker's Square was giving out free slices of pie. Yum. This was the first time our two granddaughters (Ella age 2 and Madison age 3) had gone to the fireworks. They loved them!

After a short night's sleep because of neighborhood fireworks continuing well into the night, Saturday morning arrived. 7:00 AM seemed way too early to be getting up for a run, but we all managed to do it. Another opportunity to run and another day to enjoy food and good company.

Saturday morning's run was followed by a leisurely stroll around the Farmer's Market while sipping coffee. We moved at such a slow pace around the market, it would have been difficult for the casual observer to believe the three of us (Howard, my sister and I) had actually taken a running step that morning. Lunch was a healthy brown rice, black beans, steamed broccoli and slices of red and yellow peppers. Before you get too impressed, know that our Saturday afternoon found us at a local winery.

We sat outside on a beautiful afternoon, sipping wine, eating cheese & crackers, a fresh fruit medley of raspberries, cantaloupe, and green grapes, and looking out at the vineyard. We followed this with an all-American cookout of hamburgers and grilled zucchini, and ice cream at a local ice cream place with our two granddaughters.

Sunday morning began with coffee and quiche at our favorite coffee place, followed by lunch at a local Mexican restaurant. (I told you I got a lot of cross training in this weekend.) Believe it or not, after all that leisure activity, I did manage to get on my bike Sunday afternoon and ride for 90 minutes. The mama bird still comes after me every time I ride by her territory, but I'm ready for her now.

All in all, it was a wonderful 4th of July weekend! We included many of the favorite American pastimes - fireworks, apple pie, cookout and time with family. We didn't play baseball.

0 comments: