CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Difference One Word Can Make

Ah yes, I seem to be in a pattern here. Posting on my blog several times a week and then disappearing for a week or ten days. I could ask myself if this theme is running through any other areas of my life - showing up and then disappearing. However, rather than focus on that question, I'll let you know what I have been up to lately.

In my last posting, I talked about Horton the Elephant. I actually decided to draw on Horton the Elephant for a recent presentation. I was asked to speak to a group of "offenders" at a women's prison. I find this choice of wording interesting. Although I didn't ask the reason for the use of the word offender rather than inmate or prisoner, I have come up with my own theory. Inmate or prisoner implies something we have done to the person - we have imprisoned you. It puts accountability on those who carry out the sentence, rather than placing it on the "offender". Offender, on the other hand, places the responsibility on the individual who has committed the offense.

Even though this seems like a small thing, it really got me thinking. The use of one word instead of another word seems to have a significant impact. My guess is that we all fall into the trap of using words that move us away from accountability rather than closer to it. Example? The word "try". I will "try" to ______. Already the implication is that it most likely won't happen. Another example is the word "hope". I "hope" I will _______. Again, this implies less than optimal confidence in the outcome.

With that observation, I'll continue with my story.

I would be speaking to a group of approximately 75-100 women. The group would consist of women with less than one year remaining of their sentence, to women with up to 19 years remaining. The education level and age would vary greatly as well.

I spent a lot of time considering what I might say to these women that would give everyone something they could apply to their life regardless of their situation. The more I thought about it, the more daunting the task seemed to be. Then I decided it was time to just quit thinking.

Generally when I give a speech or a presentation I draw upon what has occurred during the week leading up to my talk. I find that life has a way of giving me something that ties in quite nicely. In this case it was Horton the Elephant.

I took a stuffed Horton the Elephant and the book to read. I began my speech by asking the women who they recalled from recent speakers that impacted them and why. The responses were very insightful and articulate. I then produced Horton from my canvas bag, and propped him up on the front of the podium. I asked if any of the speakers had brought in a stuffed animal and a children's book yet. No one had, so my idea at least was original.

I was prepared to go with the flow and change directions at any point along the way. I didn't even know if I would read the entire story. As it turned out, I alternated reading a bit of the story, interspersing the life coaching content of my speech, and then returning back to the story.
The approach seemed to work well. I can't really know what the impact of my presentation was on the group. I know the group left an impact on me.

I left with the realization that the prison population is a growing and forgotten segment of the population. And, these are some amazing individuals. Like the tiny voice that Horton the Elephant heard on that tiny speck of dust, these women have voices that long to be heard. Maybe that is a large part of the reason why they are where they are. At the time when they most needed to be heard, no one was listening. I would guess that after a certain length of time when the voice becomes still or worse yet, hardened.

What is our responsibility? If we use our Horton the Elephant ears, what voices might we hear calling out?

0 comments: